The Bank N.A. of Oklahoma began in May of 1927, when a group of McAlester businessmen met and agreed to take over the charter of The Bank of McAlester, a small State bank that had closed. The group opened on May 17, 1927 with Tom Hale as President, Roy Caldwell as Executive Vice President & Cashier, W. B. McAlester and W. J. Basolo as Vice Presidents. Board members were W. P. Mullen, Ben T. Childers, W. P. Freeman and L. O. Bradford, along with the four mentioned officers. Three generations of the Hale Family gave The Bank N.A. its successful legend. Elmer Hale succeeded as President in 1941 and served until his death in 1969. Elmer Hale, Jr. served as Chairman of the Board from 1969 until 1989.
The Stillwater branch of The Bank N.A. was acquired in October of 1986, when the charter of the Stillwater Community Bank was declared insolvent by the FDIC. The following year, a branch in Holdenville was acquired the same way, when The Peoples State Bank was closed. In 1988, Citizens State Bank of Maud was closed and The Bank N.A. opened its fourth location. The mission of the McAlester bank was extended to each of these branches.
In 1989, the interest was sold to the Fern Oliver Testamentary Trust, with Mike McGowan, the current Chairman and CEO, as Trustee; subsequently, Mike McGowan purchased controlling interest from the Trust.
The Bank N.A.’s mission is “to create sustainable long-term growth that generates high rates of return for our shareholders, and security and opportunity for our employees, through valuable products and services, purchased by our stable and growing customer base. Our mission is to create a value that is long term.”
Of equal importance is the secondary purpose, which is to encourage, promote and support all worthy causes and undertakings leading toward the growth and improvement of the communities in which we serve.
The Bank N. A. has a reputation of conservative soundness, which has served the communities well.